Sunday, June 29, 2008

Module 2: Reflection

Reflection: Module 2

I have enjoyed the activities and discussions this week. While initially I wondered what I would post to my blog, through the readings, discussions, and visiting my classmates’ blogs, I have gained a better idea.

Some thoughts about the use of course blogging –

In the Lee and Allen (2006) article, Edublogs as an online assessment_tool the authors state that before using edublogs for assessment, specific objectives and learning outcomes must be determined. They state that blogs can expand the learning process through self-assessment and reading of peer blogs.

Hurlburt, in Defining Tools for a New Learning Space (2008) offers suggestions for successful blog assignments. The potential of a blog “… is not an automatic consequence of using or assigning the technology.” Assignments do not “automatically become interactive assignments.” The implications are that blogs have to be carefully designed to achieve an interactive structure. Further, the author suggests that students need reassurance during the process and an atmosphere of trust and safety should prevail.
I’m planning to introduce a blogging assignment into one of courses I teach, and so it will be very useful to me to focus on the structure of the assignment in order to produce a successful outcome

No comments: